International Trade Centre to host a virtual event to highlight opportunities for sustainable development
On Wednesday, March 24th, 2021, the International Trade Centre will host a virtual event focused on emerging opportunities for sustainable economic development as a part of international COVID-19 recovery efforts and a wider push for countries to transition to a circular economy.
The discussion will highlight the need for countries to leverage the transition to a low-carbon circular economy to create opportunities to increase trade and create jobs through investments in a greener, more diverse economy. This discussion is in alignment with the Sustainable Development Goals related to clean energy, sustainable cities and communities, responsible consumption and reduction, climate action, reduction of pollution in the ocean and on land, and economic growth.
The ITC will lead the discussion on how support for trade facilitation and national roadmaps specific to the country context will help countries eliminate waste and maximize the use of renewable resources as they transition towards circularity. Concrete examples of countries that are moving towards a circular economy will be discussed and analysed.
The main points generated from this discussion will inform the Action Statement of the World Circular Economy Forum (WCEF) 2021.
Speakers at the event will include:
- H.E. Dr. Cleopa Kilonzo Mailu, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Permanent Representative of the Republic of Kenya to the United Nations Office in Geneva and other International Organizations in Switzerland
- Professor Anthony Nyong, Director for Climate Change and Green Growth at the African Development Bank
- Robert Koech, CEO, Siomo Tea Factory
- Ms. Colette van der Ven, International Trade Lawyer, Founder of TULIP Consulting
- Mr. Kari Herlevi, Project Director, Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra
- Ms. Marianne Kettunen, Programme Manager, IEEP (moderator)
You can register for the virtual event here: https://intracen.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_QEjT5kVgSBC9LFr5E6CU-w